Combat Map - Turn 57

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Rules Q for my Homies

Situation came up today at the table, wanted to know your take(s) on it...  I've got a couple days to make a ruling.

Party polymorphs the enemy cleric into a Newt, currently grappled by the Monk.  Monk then rolls to "move" the target and succeeds, and stuffs the Newt(Cleric) into his handy haversack...

Can the Newt get out on its own? I would note: Cleric failed the Fort save (change form) but made the Will save (kept her mind)... I don't see much to explain how you can get out of a HH, how would you guys handle this?

-M

4 comments:

  1. I do not expect that a handy haversack is fully sealed (i.e. air/liquid tight). If the newt has a climb speed, then I would say, yes, it could climb up and wriggle out. It might take a while but I think it is doable. If the cleric newt has UMD and there are things in there it could use that might also aid its escape/revenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was leaning that way too Keith, especially since the Newt was shoved into the haversack in a hasty fashion (1 action) and then the Monk went racing across the room to punch someone else in the face... doesn't seem like he would have been able to stuff it in and carefully cinch the top closed, clasp it shut, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thing is does the newt want to cause havoc in the haversack before getting out. Mess crap up / steal. Does he want to leave yet? Ot try to cause havoc later in the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, if you give the newt its natural bite attack, it could chew its way out, thus escaping AND destroying the magic item in the process (double the fun). Never put anything in a Bag of Holding/Portable Hole/ Handy Haversack that can do slashing or piercing damage.

    ReplyDelete