Combat Map - Turn 36

Monday, July 31, 2017

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods - GM Turn Post 24

After the encounter with Asiclassus, the party continues to follow the goblins’ trail. Later in the day, they come upon further evidence that they are on the right track.

The rotting corpse of a goblin occupies the center of this small glade. Its eyes and face are missing, as if they were chewed or pecked off by wild animals, and its corpse is covered in purplish, festering goo that seems to be liquefying the body.

As the party enters the glade to investigate, a large wolverine with glowing red eyes breaks from the brush and confronts the party.

Roll initiative. Begin Combat Round 1.

Starting positions are displayed on the combat map.

Please submit your turn instructions using the Player Action Response - Turn Post Template. If you are planning to use a specific skill, please list the skill and the associated roll(s) along with your 5 d20 rolls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conditions:
N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Map Key:
N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Party Health:

Cando Numida (19/19), Wahesh Captain (20/20), Stabem (17/17), Lady Emyralda (16/16), Ro-Mahn (15/15), Barnacleez (19/19), Lou G'Boo (9/9)

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods – Turn Results 23

Cando started the introductions, “I am Cando Numida, Pathfinder extraordinaire. My friends and I are on the hunt for murderous goblins, and have no quarrel with you or your kingdom." The half-orc went on to relate a summary of the party’s goblin encounters so far, concluding with a description of the quality of the breakfast the party recently finished.  Cando concluded with a polite yet firm suggestion, “You should let us pass. We have important work to do.”

Ro-Mahn continued, "Your kingdom? Well, pardon us, mighty Asiclassus! We seek to do you the favor of ridding your kingdom of vermin such as this--" and gave Izgarp a poke. "As my brawny friend has said, we're well on our way to scouring the land of this plague. We've no intention of harming anyone along the way. Would you care to help?"

At the mention of breakfast, Asiclassus grew visibly more interested. Picking up on the creature’s interest, Stabem offered Asiclassus some food. This greatly improved its attitude and helpfulness.

After the rest of the party introduced themselves, and in the case of Barnacleez, all of their gear, the Katroome shared some information with the party. “Goblins I have seen recently. There was a whole mess of them. I do not remember seeing that one but others like it. The ones that stuck out were the terribly scarred one and the bugbear. He appeared to be the leader. As they were migrating through the area, I decided not to trouble with them.”

“If you are looking for the way they went, you are heading in the right direction. Continue to follow the stream to the northwest.”

“Mostly them moved through and have not been too much of a nuisance. There have been some traveling through in both directions. Just last week there was a group of them carrying a trussed up human to the northwest. She appeared to be unconscious.”

Consuming the last of the provided food, Asiclassus finished, “My that was delicious! I do not suppose that you could part with some more?”

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods - GM Turn Post 23

The light is dim in this part of the forest, as the interlocking branches of the trees form a thick, shadowy canopy. A large, halfling-sized, plump caterpillar of brilliant color lowers itself from the trees before the party. The creature exhibits a strangely self-important bearing as it demands, “Who are you that dare trespass in my kingdom? What are your names? You have the privilege of addressing Asiclassus.”

What do you do?

Starting positions are displayed on the combat map.

Please submit your turn instructions using the Player Action Response - Turn Post Template. If you are planning to use a specific skill, please list the skill and the associated roll(s) along with your 5 d20 rolls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conditions:
N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Map Key:
N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Party Health:

Cando Numida (19/19), Wahesh Captain (20/20), Stabem (17/17), Lady Emyralda (16/16), Ro-Mahn (15/15), Barnacleez (19/19), Lou G'Boo (9/9)

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods – Turn Results 22

Lady Emyralda moved toward the plant and unleashed a fire bolt. Unfortunately, in her haste, the spell-like ability missed the mark. Cando charged ahead bearing his double axe. The plant monster lashed out with a tendril as the fighter entered its threatened range. The blow landed and dealt 9 damage. Cando returned the favor with a slash from his axe dealing 10 damage.

Ro-Mahn pulled out his sling and sent a bullet at the plant. The projectile hit a dealt 2 damage. Stabem moved in and attacked with his rapier but missed with his thrust. The creeper released a cloud o pollen in Cando’s face allowing him and Stabem to attack again. The fighter hit dealing 8 damage but the rogue missed again. When the cloud cleared, Cando stood passively looking at the plant.  

Wahesh moved into position, flanking with Stabem. The fighter scored a masterful stroke cutting deep into the plant. The blow dealt 18 damage and killed the monster.

Barnacleez raised his wand to attack but seeing that the monster was dead, lowered Missy to his side once more.

After a few moments, Cando’s head cleared, allowing the fighter to act once more. Lady Emyralda healed the fighter before pressing the Pathfinders back to work.

After the party spent a few hours digging and gathering the bones of the dead, Lady Emyralda said a few words for the fallen and the mass grave was filled in. The party made camp in the clearing as it was getting late in the day. The night passed uneventfully.

The next day the goblin’s trail lead deeper into the forest.

Monday, July 24, 2017

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods - GM Turn Post 22

Roll initiative. Begin Combat Round 1.

Starting positions are displayed on the combat map.

Please submit your turn instructions using the Player Action Response - Turn Post Template. If you are planning to use a specific skill, please list the skill and the associated roll(s) along with your 5 d20 rolls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conditions:
N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Map Key:
N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Party Health:

Cando Numida (19/19), Wahesh Captain (20/20), Stabem (17/17), Lady Emyralda (16/16), Ro-Mahn (15/15), Barnacleez (19/19), Lou G'Boo (9/9)

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods – Turn Results 21

Wahesh believed that the field was an unknown battle site from the Goblinblood Wars. The remains left upon the field were years old and mostly appeared to be human. An occasional hobgoblin skeleton could be found among the moldering remains.

Ro-Mahn’s appraising eye did not see anything that looked terribly valuable. He prodded Izgarp, the goblin prisioner, “Do you know anything about this place?” The goblin croaked, “No. This was here as we passed through. This was the site of a great victory!”

Lady Emyralda took change and started to assign tasks. “We need to put these brave souls to rest.” The cleric set to work and the rest of the party began to lend a hand. At the other halfling’s direction, Stabem went to gather the bones of a fallen soldier when he stumbled into something dangerous.

A man-sized plant reared up and released a cloud of yellow pollen in the rogues direction. Luckily, the halfling managed to avoid the attack.

Friday, July 21, 2017

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods - GM Turn Post 21

Later the same day, the party comes across the remains of a long past battle. The goblins’ trail leads through the site.

A steep-sided ravine runs east to west here, opening at the far western end into a wide grassy depression. The scene would be idyllic if it weren’t for the scattered rusting weapons and pieces of armor, a few of which still contain moldering bones, strewn about the area. Pungent moss and a few patches of mushrooms dot the field; this place looks like it is the final resting place for many unfortunate souls.

What do you do now?

Please submit your turn instructions using the Player Action Response - Turn Post Template. If you are planning to use a specific skill, please list the skill and the associated roll(s) along with your 5 d20 rolls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conditions:
N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Map Key:
N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Party Health:

Cando Numida (19/19), Wahesh Captain (20/20), Stabem (17/17), Lady Emyralda (16/16), Ro-Mahn (15/15), Barnacleez (19/19), Lou G'Boo (9/9)

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods – Turn Results 20

Lou G’Boo climbed to the cavity and determined that there was not any immediate danger. Ro-Mahn scaled the cliff behind the monkey and discovered several objects of interest. He found two potions of inside a rusty metal canister with the symbol of the Isgeri army on it, a masterwork light steel shield, and 73 gp.

Ro-Mahn returned to the party and the rogue handed the potions to Barnacleez. The gnome started a dialog with the bottles and after several moments concluded, “These beauties are the Fresca twins.“ Holding a bottle in each hand, he continued, “This one is Pipa and this one is Rita. These ladies have a soothing yet arousing touch. When you drink them, they cast lesser restoration on you.”

Finding nothing further of interest, the party resumed following the goblins’ backtrail.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

The GM's Vacation Schedule

I will be on vacation, traveling with my wife starting the evening of 8/1/17 through sometime on 8/8/17. During this time, it is unlikely that I will be responding to turn posts for the game.

8/9/17 through 8/15/17, the game will proceed as normal.

Similarly, I will be on vacation for Gen Con from 8/16/17 through 8/21/17. The same story here. From my perspective, the game will be on hold until after I return.

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods - GM Turn Post 20

What do you do now?

Please submit your turn instructions using the Player Action Response - Turn Post Template. If you are planning to use a specific skill, please list the skill and the associated roll(s) along with your 5 d20 rolls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conditions:
N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Map Key:
N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Party Health:

Cando Numida (19/19), Wahesh Captain (20/20), Stabem (17/17), Lady Emyralda (16/16), Ro-Mahn (15/15), Barnacleez (19/19), Lou G'Boo (9/9)

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods – Turn Results 19

In the interest of keeping things moving …
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ro-Mahn, leading Izgarp, investigated the lower cavities of the scarp.

No traps were detected or found. The odor present at the site came from the combination of the goblins’ leftover stench and a pile of purplish goo in one of the lower cavities. This was clearly demon’s bile. A cold iron dagger lay very close to the puddle of demon’s bile, forming a conspicuous indentation where the goo had grown around, but not touched, the weapon.

In the same cavity, the goblins appeared to have spent some time decorating the walls with chalk drawings. These drawings contained crude renditions of a large, lopsided humanoid (Ro-Mahn figured it to be a bugbear), a goblin covered in terrible scars (likely Leeza), and a shrine with a three-eyed face and a pool.

Barnacleez and Lady Emyralda each cast Detect Magic spells and scanned the area. No auras were detected. While investigating the scene, Lady Emyralda noticed something shiny glinting in the sun from a cavity 20 feet higher up the cliff.

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods - GM Turn Post 19

After saying their farewells to the Escoro family, the party headed out to follow the goblin trail.

The first day was uneventful. Early on the second day, the goblin back trail leads to an escarpment pocked with cavities. The trail continues away from this location, heading generally northwest.

A small stream passes along the base of a thirty-foot-tall black stone scarp. Strange, horse-sized cavities pock the face of the cliff, their edges smooth and warped as though etched or melted into the stone rather than carved. The air is thick with the stench of decay and rot, beneath which there is a faint tinge of an acrid, chemical odor. Despite the smell, things here are eerily peaceful.

What do you do?

Please submit your turn instructions using the Player Action Response - Turn Post Template. If you are planning to use a specific skill, please list the skill and the associated roll(s) along with your 5 d20 rolls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conditions:
N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Map Key:
N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Party Health:

Cando Numida (19/19), Wahesh Captain (20/20), Stabem (17/17), Lady Emyralda (16/16), Ro-Mahn (15/15), Barnacleez (19/19), Lou G'Boo (9/9)

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods – Turn Results 18

Further questioning of Izgarp yields that the other goblin that Carlo saw was Leeza, the trap maker. The goblin elaborated, “She was telling us our job, again. When she was done, she headed back to Highfort. We were to keep an eye on the longshanks and their city. Preparing for the opportunity to attack. We got bored and had the idea for sheep disguises. That was fun until, well you know …”

The next morning, Carlo takes the party to the locations where he encountered the goblins. Ro-Mahn was able to locate goblin tracks leading from the northwest, deeper into the woods. The direction of the trail lines up with the information gathered from Izgarp previously.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods - GM Turn Post 18

Once the party is settled, they have an opportunity to question the shepherds. Garreni Escoro and his wife Ophania have little information. They have seen shadows skulking around the edge of their property at night, but until today, they hadn’t seen any goblins in the flesh.

Carlo on the other hand has much more to say.

“Four days ago, I was chasing a lamb that strayed past the fence. Out of nowhere, I saw two ugly, green little things out in the clearing. They were talking some nasty, jabbering language I didn’t understand. One of them, the one wrinkled like a raisin, was all scarred up. The other had a big blade for chopping tied to the end of a pole. They were arguing back and forth, and then they walked off in different directions. Once I was sure they’d gone, I ran home and told my ma and pa.”

Pointing at the trussed up goblin prisoner, Carlo says, “That is one of them. The one with the blade tied to the pole.”

“When you are ready, I can take you to the places where I saw this and where I encountered the monsters today."

What do you do?

Are you accepting the shepherd's potions?

I am assuming the party spends the night with the Escoro family. Everyone is healed and abilities are refreshed.

Please submit your turn instructions using the Player Action Response - Turn Post Template. If you are planning to use a specific skill, please list the skill and the associated roll(s) along with your 5 d20 rolls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conditions:
N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Map Key:
N/A
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Party Health:

Cando Numida (19/19), Wahesh Captain (20/20), Stabem (17/17), Lady Emyralda (16/16), Ro-Mahn (15/15), Barnacleez (19/19), Lou G'Boo (9/9)

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods – Turn Results 17

Stabem moved back toward the fight. The goblin dog snapped at Ro-Mahn but missed the rogue. Lady Emyralda followed the other Halfling back toward the action.

Ro-Mahn tumbled into a flanking position and dispatched the monster with a thrust of his rapier which dealt 5 damage.

Banacleez cast Speak with Animals and started a conversation with the panicked horse. The gnome managed to calm the beast and learned that its name was Burnella.

Wahesh cleaned off his sword and Cando retrieved his discarded dart.

With the combat ended, Lady Emyralda approached the house’s door and knocked. “Is everyone alright in there?”

A man opened the door and fell to his knees weeping. They appeared to be tears of joy. “Thank you for saving us! We are in your debt.”

The house was occupied by the shepherd Garreni Escoro, his wife Ophania and his son Carlo. This was the shepherd boy the party met at the beginning of the combat in the fields. 

Once things have settled, the patriarch offered a reward. “I know it is not much but it is what we have to express our gratitude,” the shepherd said as he produced three potion bottles. “We have collected these over the years in case our livestock or family were ever seriously wounded. They are yours if you want them.” Looking at the arrow protruding from Ro-Mahn, the man continued, “You friend look to be in need.”

The family further offered to put the group up for the night. They claimed plenty of room in the house and in the barn as need be.

Monday, July 17, 2017

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods - GM Turn Post 17

Begin Combat Round 3.

Starting positions are displayed on the combat map.

Current Initiative order:

Initiative 24: Stabem
Initiative 21: Goblin Dog
Initiative 16: Lady Emyralda
Initiative 15: Ro-Mahn
Initiative 11: Barnacleez
Initiative 10: Wahesh
Initiative 9: Cando

Please submit your turn instructions using the Player Action Response - Turn Post Template. If you are planning to use a specific skill, please list the skill and the associated roll(s) along with your 5 d20 rolls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conditions:
N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Map Key:

Brown L-shape is a one-story house
Dotted blue line is a fence
Brown rectangle is a barn
White rectangles are doors/gates
Lt blue rectangles are windows.
There is a wagon in M22:N25. Hinders movement and provides cover.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Party Health:

Cando Numida (19/19), Wahesh Captain (20/20), Stabem (17/17), Lady Emyralda (16/16), Ro-Mahn (11/15), Barnacleez (19/19), Lou G'Boo (9/9)

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods – Turn Results 16

Stabem moved to the barn door and assisted Lady Emyralda by opening the door. The door opened quietly but the horse within bolted at the chance for escape. The animal ran past the cleric and headed to the south.

The goblin rider rounded the corner of the house. Upon seeing the party, the monster drew its shortbow and fired at Ro-Mahn. The arrow flew true and struck the rogue dealing 4 damage.

Lady Emyralda looked into the barn to discover not further threats inside. She then sighed, stared daggers at Stabem and looked after the horse which was now out of her reach.

Ro-Mahn ran forward and attacked the goblin dog with his rapier. The rogue’s thrust struck and dealt 4 damage to the monster. Barnacleez moved forward and used his wand of Magic Missiles again. The magic projectile hit the goblin rider for 5 damage. Wahesh moved forward brandishing his longsword. The fighter attacked the goblin dog and hit dealing 4 damage. Cando dropped his dart and drew his double axe as he charged the goblin rider. The mighty swing connected with the monster and dealt 9 damage and killing it.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods - GM Turn Post 16

To save time I did the surprise round and round 1 of the combat based upon the instructions supplied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Begin Combat Round 2.

Starting positions are displayed on the combat map.

Current Initiative order:

Initiative 24: Stabem
Initiative 21: Mounted Goblin
Initiative 16: Lady Emyralda
Initiative 15: Ro-Mahn
Initiative 11: Barnacleez
Initiative 10: Wahesh
Initiative 9: Cando

Please submit your turn instructions using the Player Action Response - Turn Post Template. If you are planning to use a specific skill, please list the skill and the associated roll(s) along with your 5 d20 rolls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conditions:
N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Map Key:

Brown L-shape is a one-story house
Dotted blue line is a fence
Brown rectangle is a barn
White rectangles are doors/gates
Lt blue rectangles are windows.
There is a wagon in M22:N25. Hinders movement and provides cover.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Party Health: 

Cando Numida (19/19), Wahesh Captain (20/20), Stabem (17/17), Lady Emyralda (16/16), Ro-Mahn (15/15), Barnacleez (19/19), Lou G'Boo (9/9)

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods – Turn Results 15

As the mounted goblin moved around the house, counter-clockwise to the west, the party advanced on the pair of fire-starting goblins. Barnacleez used is wand of Magic Missile and struck one for 5 damage. The monster howled in pain and looked for the source of its misery. The battle was joined.

Stabem moved forward as fast as his short legs would carry him. The mounted goblin rode around the house and continued to chant and sing. Lady Emyralda moved with purpose toward the barn doors. The halfling reached her objective. The sounds of the distressed animal still sounded from within the barn.

Ro-Mahn closed the distance with the monsters, getting in the face of the unwounded one. The two goblins both attacked the rogue with their dogslicers but neither managed to connect. Barnacleez moved closer and activated his wand again. Another Magic Missile launched forth and struck the wounded monster for 2 damage and dropped it. Wahesh charged forward and attacked the goblin engaged with Ro-Mahn. The fight stuck the monster with his longsword and delt 11 damage which killed it. Cando hustled forward and next to Stabem and drew a dart as he moved.

Thursday, July 6, 2017

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods - GM Turn Post 15

The noise comes from a farmstead located in the southwest corner of a large fenced-in pasture.

A goblin mounted on a small goblin dog rides counter-clockwise around the house. It jeers and sings its goblin song while shouts for help and terror come from within. Two goblins on foot are occupied attempting to light torches with flint and steel.

The distressed sounds of a large animal can be heard coming from the barn.

The monsters have not yet noticed the party’s approach.

What do you do?

Please submit your turn instructions using the Player Action Response - Turn Post Template. If you are planning to use a specific skill, please list the skill and the associated roll(s) along with your 5 d20 rolls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conditions:
N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Map Key:

Brown L-shape is a one-story house
Dotted blue line is a fence
Brown rectangle is a barn
White rectangles are doors/gates
Lt blue rectangles are windows.
There is a wagon in M22:N25. Hinders movement and provides cover.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Party Health:

Cando Numida (19/19), Wahesh Captain (20/20), Stabem (17/17), Lady Emyralda (16/16), Ro-Mahn (15/15), Barnacleez (19/19), Lou G'Boo (9/9)

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods – Turn Results 14

The party gathered up the prisoner and hustled to the source of the noise. Lady Emyralda channeled positive energy along the way to fully heal Cando, Wahesh and Barnacleez.

Wednesday, July 5, 2017

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods - GM Turn Post 14

Screams in common and more goblin song can be heard coming from the northwest, the direction that the shepherd boy ran when the battle with the goblins began.

What do you do?

Please submit your turn instructions using the Player Action Response - Turn Post Template. If you are planning to use a specific skill, please list the skill and the associated roll(s) along with your 5 d20 rolls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conditions:
N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Map Key:
N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Party Health:

Cando Numida (15/19), Wahesh Captain (19/20), Stabem (17/17), Lady Emyralda (16/16), Ro-Mahn (15/15), Barnacleez (15/19), Lou G'Boo (9/9)

GoM: What Lurks in the Woods – Turn Results 13

The party was able to revive and question the goblin leader, Isgarp. After briefly straining at her bonds, the goblin answered the questions posed by Ro-Mahn and Barnacleez.

Q: How many goblins are there?
A: “Lots! More than fingers and toeses.”

Q: Who are you getting your orders from? Who is your leader?
A: “Scary big-chief. He kill old chief and make us roll in mud and come here. He big and strong and have lots of sharp teeths and sometimes he eats us when we do bad.”

Q: Where do you hang out and sharpen your knives? Where is your camp?
A: "Highfort is on a mountain, many days to the northwest. Follow the river."

Q: What defenses does the camp have?
A: “Highfort has big walls, up high, can’t climb! Leeza also make big mean traps. They hurt real bad when they go off. Almost always, whoever set off trap gets dead.”

Q: What was next on the agenda? 
A: "What that? Izgarp do not know." 

Q: Why are you covered in goo?
A: “Scary big-chief say goo is nice gift from Wormgnash that make us very strong. He make us swim in muddy goo stuff, soak it up. Now we be special goblins!”

Q: Who is Leeza? The tribe's trapmaker? Or someone new that came with Scary Big-Chief?
A: “Leeza is in charge of defense. She makes the traps. She worked for previous Chief.”

Q: Agenda equals plan! What was Big-Chief's plan?
A: “Big-Chief plans to attack longshank town. He hates longshanks.”

Q: Who is Wormgnash?
A: “Wormgnash is strange longshank from town. He hates longshanks too. He tell all about the place. He gave attack plan to Big-Chief and gifted goblins with pool of goo.”

If you have more questions or need further clarification, please post to this thread.